Pocatello Car Accident Lawyer
The home of Idaho State University, Forbes Magazine recently named Pocatello as one of the best small places to start a new business or a career. Of course, even the best places to live still must deal with the risks of auto accidents. With major thoroughfares like I-15 and I-86 running directly through the city, all drivers in Pocatello should be prepared for the possibility of a serious car accident. Unfortunately, motor vehicle accidents remain a serious problem in Pocatello, and throughout Idaho. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a crash occurs in the state once every 45 minutes.
All car accident victims deserve just compensation for their injuries. However, actually obtaining that compensation can prove to be challenging. If you were injured in a crash, please contact an experienced Pocatello car accident lawyer immediately. Your lawyer will be able to review your claim and assess your legal options.
Car Accident Dos and Don’ts
Sadly, many Idaho auto accident victims are unable to recover full compensation. In many cases, the reason for this is that victims make major mistakes in the days and weeks immediately following their crash. Do not let this happen to you. Here, our insurance claims team has put together a list of the first three things you should do after a crash, as well as three common mistakes that you need to avoid.
Three Things You Need to Do
- Seek medical assistance: Victims should always seek a comprehensive medical evaluation immediately after their accident. Not only is doing so important to protect your health, but you will not be able to pursue a successful legal claim without supporting medical documentation.
- Secure evidence: Auto accident claims, like all legal cases, are fundamentally built on evidence. You should always take proactive steps to secure any evidence that is related to your crash. For example, it is a best practice take photographs of the both accident scene and of your injuries after a crash.
- Hire an attorney: The single most important thing you need to do after a serious accident: Hire an attorney. Your attorney will be able to make sure that you are doing everything else correctly and that you are treated fairly by the insurance company.
Three Mistakes You Must Avoid
- Do not admit fault: You should never admit fault to any other party. This includes opposing drivers, witnesses, responding police officers and insurance adjusters. If you do admit fault, even partial fault, it will be used against you. Ultimately, it is simply not your job to decide who was to blame for the accident. Keep quiet and let your attorney make that assessment.
- Do not give a recorded statement: Soon after your accident, you are likely to be contacted by a representative from the insurance company. If an insurance adjuster asks you to give a recorded statement regarding your accident, please do not do so until you have first consulted with an attorney. The insurance company is not on your side, they are looking for information that they can use against you to reduce the value of your claim.
- Do not sign any documents: Finally, you should not sign any documents without approval from an attorney. This is especially important when the insurance company sends you a release for your medical records. Insurers want to go digging through your entire medical history, but they do not necessarily have the right to do so. Do not give them this access without approval from your attorney.
Idaho Auto Accident Liability
Personal injury claims, including car accident claims, are governed by state law. For Pocatello accidents, claims are controlled by Section 6-801 of the Idaho Code. This is the state’s comparative negligence statute. Under it, car accident liability is established by proving negligence. Then, liability is divided in direct proportion to each party’s percentage of blame for the crash.
In some auto accident cases, dividing liability will prove to be easy. For example, if one driver was unquestionably at-fault for the entire accident, then that driver will be held liable for 100 percent of the resulting damages. However, if two or more drivers share liability, apportioning that liability can become very complicated. If fault is disputed in your case, it is imperative that you get an experienced attorney involved immediately. Your attorney will be able to protect you from any unfair share of blame.
Compensation Available for Victims
In Idaho, injured victims are entitled to financial relief in an amount that is equivalent to the value of their damages. In order to maximize your recovery, you must be able to ‘prove’ your losses. Doing so can be far more difficult than many victims realize. This is why your claim should always be handled by a qualified lawyer, even if fault for the accident is not disputed. Our firm may be able to help you obtain compensation for:
- Any property damage;
- Your medical bills, including any consequential costs;
- Current and future lost wages;
- Long-term disability;
- Pain and suffering; and
- Physical damage, such as disfigurement or loss of limb.
You Can Afford a Car Accident Attorney
Following a serious accident, all victims will have a lot on their mind. At Hansen Injury Law, we understand that the last thing an injured victim needs is more bills. That is why we handle all personal injury claims on a contingency fee basis.
What does this mean? It means that we advance all of the costs and fees associated with bringing your case. Further, it means that we will only collect our legal fee directly from your injury verdict or case settlement offer. If we do not help you obtain a recovery, we simply do not get paid. You pay no out-of-pocket costs, and you do not have to incur any financial risk in order to bring your case. You deserve full and fair compensation for your injuries. Do not settle for less. Let our attorneys help you take on the big insurance company.
Get Legal Help Today
If you were injured in a Pocatello crash, you deserve compensation. At Hansen Injury Law, our car accident lawyers have helped many Idaho car accident victims obtain full and fair settlement offers. We can help you hold the insurance company accountable. To request a free, no-obligation review of your claim, please do not hesitate to contact our firm today at (208) 922-6650 or at (208) 505-9456.