NAMPA BICYCLE ACCIDENTS
Knowledgeable Nampa Bicycle Accident Attorneys
If you’re injured in a bicycle accident in Nampa, the effects can be life-changing. You’ll experience the pain of the initial impact, and then additional suffering as you try to return to health. You may also be unable to work as a result of your injuries, making it tough to pay your mounting medical bills and other financial obligations during these difficult times. Fortunately, Idaho law does allow you to recover compensation for your injuries, but the process for filing a claim can be overwhelming.
The bicycle accident attorneys at Hansen Injury Law have the legal knowledge and experience to fight for your rights after a bike crash. We’re at your side when discussing settlement with the responsible party’s insurance company, but we’ll take the battle to court if necessary to get the compensation you deserve. While our lawyers can provide more information about your options after conducting a case assessment, some general information on Nampa bicycle accidents should help you understand your rights.
Get the Money You Deserve
WE WIN OR IT'S FREE
Our Nampa Lawyers Tackle the Legal Issues Involved with a Bicycle Accident
A claim for compensation after a bike accident is similar to other personal injury cases. The attorneys at Hansen Injury Law work with you to prove all the essential elements of a negligence case:
- Duty: In Idaho, drivers have a duty to exercise reasonable care while operating a motorized vehicle, such as when they share the road with bicyclists;
- Breach: If a motorist fails to exercise proper care, his or her actions may be considered a breach of the legal duty;
- Causation: There must be a causal link between the breach of duty and the collision, showing that responsible driver’s actions brought about the crash; and,
- Damages: You must show that you suffered losses due to your bike accident injuries, entitling you to damages as compensation.
US Bike Accident Statistics
A bicyclist is more likely to sustain serious injury or death when involved in a crash with a motorized vehicle. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration collects data regarding bicycle incident in the US, and the statistics are alarming:
- During 2015, 818 bike riders were killed in crashes with motorized vehicles, which breaks down to more than two people every day that year.
- Bicyclist deaths have increased over time, with a 6 percent increase in fatalities from 2006 to 2015. In addition, there was a 12 percent rise in bicyclist deaths from 2014 to 2015.
- According to the NHTSA, the estimated number of cyclist injuries in 2006 was 44,000 and 45,000 in 2015. The NHTSA uses estimates because only a fraction of bike accident injuries are reported by officials, possible as low as 10 percent.
- Males represent the largest group of rider deaths due to bike accidents, at 88 percent. The majority of bicyclist fatalities, 71 percent, occur in urban areas.
- There has been an increase in the average age of bicyclist deaths, from 24 years old in 1988 to 45 years old in 2014. This figure is closely associated with a 64 percent increase in people who travel to work via bicycle, as measured from 2000-2012.
- The highest bicycle accident injury rate in 2013 occurred among adults in the 20-24 year age group, at 376 casualties per million people.
You Have a Right to Compensation After a Nampa Bicycle Accident
The bicycle accident attorneys at Hansen Injury Law will assist you in pursuing the person responsible for causing your injuries. In a case based upon negligence, there are two types of damages available to compensate you for your losses:
- Economic Damages: When your losses are tangible and documented, they are considered economic damages. They include:
- Medical bills from healthcare providers for medical treatment, ongoing care, and rehabilitation;
- The income you lose if you’re out of work due to your bike accident injuries; and,
- The cost of property damage, such as to repair or replace your bicycle.
- Non-Economic Damages: You do experience other losses after a bicycle accident, though these aren’t ascertainable by documents or paperwork. Non-economic damages include:
- Pain and Suffering: It’s difficult to describe intangibles like pain and suffering, but it’s possible to obtain compensation by proving the nature of your injuries and the details of your treatment.
- Emotional Distress: Emotional anguish often accompanies the severe injuries you suffer in a bike accident, as a result of the extreme, devastating impact on your life.
- Loss of Society, Companionship, Consortium: You may also receive compensation to reimburse you for the impact upon on your relationships with your spouse, children, and other loved ones after your bicycle accident.
Factors That Impact Your Right to Compensation
Our lawyers are dedicated to helping you obtain the highest possible compensation after a bike accident, but there are some issues that may affect the award amount.
- Statute of Limitations: In Idaho, you have two years after the date of the incident to file a bike accident lawsuit. If you don’t sue the responsible party in court within that time, the statute of limitations prohibits you from recovering compensation.
- Comparative Negligence: If your conduct contributed to the accident, Idaho law reduces your compensation by the percentage of fault attributable to your actions. If you are more than 50 percent responsible, you may recover nothing
- Statutory Cap on Damages: Under Idaho law, there is a limit on the amount of compensation you can receive for non-economic damages. You cannot recover more than $250,000 for your injuries, though this amount fluctuates based upon the statutory annual wage.
Consult with a Nampa Bicycle Accident Attorney About Your Options
The lawyers at Hansen Injury Law will fight for your right to compensation after you suffer injuries in a Nampa bike accident. Our attorneys possess the attention to detail, legal knowledge, and experience you need when up against an insurance company or in court. Plus, members of our legal team are avid cyclists, so we’re passionate about helping victims recover financially for their losses after a bicycle accident. Please contact our office to discuss your options or to set up a free, no-obligations case assessment. We serve clients in Nampa, Boise, and throughout Canyon County, ID.
“After my bike accident, I went looking for a lawyer to help with the insurance company. I noticed that Matt focused specifically on cycling accidents and thought he would be a great fit.
Matt and his staff made sure I was always up to date on how things were going. I had never used a lawyer and didn’t know what to expect, but now I feel like Matt was on my side and made sure my problem was solved and I was taken care of.”Josh C.