Meridian Car Accident Lawyer
Hansen Injury Law Firm
Meridian, Idaho 83646
URL of Map
The town of Meridian, located east of the Boise-Nampa metropolitan area, has been growing for years. With a 2015 population of just over 90,000 people, Meridian is the state’s second-largest city (behind Boise but just slightly ahead of Nampa). Since 2010, Meridian’s population has increased over twenty percent.
When a town like Meridian experiences such growth, it can be exciting to witness new residential neighborhoods and commercial structures pop up around town. Population growth can also invite negative consequences such as an increase in traffic collisions. Meridian car crash victims whose car accidents are caused by the negligent or reckless driving of another may be entitled to compensation for their injuries, and the experienced car accident law firm of Christensen & Hymas can help these victims obtain the monetary damages they need to begin putting their lives back together.
NEGLIGENCE CAUSES CRASHES IN MERIDIAN
The most common cause of serious car accidents in Meridian is negligence, which is the failure of a driver to operate their vehicle with the duty of care that they owe to others on the road. Negligence is a broad term, and can refer to actions that are both illegal (negligence per se) and simply irresponsible. For example, negligent actions that may lead to serious car crashes in Meridian include:
- Driving while distracted or while using a cellphone;
- Illegally or improperly lane changing;
- Failing to service vehicles and ensure they are well-maintained;
- Driving while intoxicated or impaired;
- Driving while fatigued;
- Driving aggressively;
- Failing to yield; and
- Otherwise neglecting common sense or traffic laws.
Most car accidents are caused by the negligent actions of drivers, such as those acts described above. However, other parties’ negligence may contribute to crashes as well. For example, if a municipality fails to perform road maintenance, this could cause an accident. Or, if a vehicle or vehicle part manufacturer designs or manufacturers a vehicle (part) with a defect, such as faulty brakes, this could be the cause of an accident.
INJURIES AND DAMAGES IN A MERIDIAN CRASH
When a car crash occurs, the aftermath can be devastating. In addition to the cost of property damage, which in itself may total tens of thousands of dollars, a driver or passenger who is involved in a crash may suffer life-altering injuries. These injuries might include head and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), spinal cord injuries, back and neck injuries, soft tissue injuries, injuries to bones, internal injuries, and psychological injuries. A person may require ongoing medical care, may suffer a disability, may be permanently unable to return to work and earn an income, and more as such. Medical expenses, future healthcare costs, lost wages, and more may all further cripple an affected individual.
Compensation for Your Meridian Car Crash Injuries
When you or a loved one is involved in a car accident in Meridian, you may be one of the thousands of individuals that are injured in car crashes throughout Idaho each year. A loved one may be one of the nearly two hundred motorists or occupants that are killed in Idaho car accidents. In either event, you or your family may be facing significant expenses such as:
- Costs of medical treatment, surgeries, and/or therapy;
- Time missed from work and lost future earning potential;
- Loss of enjoyment of life;
- Mental pain, anguish, and suffering;
- Funeral expenses;
- Other losses and expenses.
Monetary damages to compensate victims for these and other losses are available to Meridian car accident victims who are able to show: (1) their car crash came about because another person acted carelessly; (2) the car crash caused the victim to suffer injuries and/or financial or other losses; and (3) those injuries and losses can be compensated through a monetary damages award.
THE CAR ACCIDENT CLAIMS PROCESS IN MERIDIAN
You deserve to be compensated for the full extent of damages you have suffered, including the damage types listed above. However, recovering the compensation amount you deserve is not always as simple as filing a claim and waiting for the insurance company to approve it.
The first thing that you should know about the claims process is that Idaho is an at-fault, or tort liability, insurance state. This means that drivers who cause accidents are responsible for paying for them. If your accident was not caused by another driver, but instead a separate negligent party (such as a vehicle manufacturer), you can bring forth a claim against the at-fault party. If claims cannot be resolved out of court, you also have the right to file a lawsuit for damages directly against the party who is responsible for your injuries and losses.
When moving through the claims process, some important steps to take are:
- Provide the insurance company with notice of your accident as soon as possible. If you wait too long, you may forfeit your right to compensation.
- Gather all evidence that is available, including witness statements, expert testimony, medical records, photos of the accident and damages, and any video footage that exists. Do not hesitate to hire an accident reconstruction expert when the situation warrants it – a reconstruction specialist may be key in proving the fault of the responsible party.
- Seek medical care and wait until reaching Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI) before demanding damages from the insurance company.
- Valuate your damages and issue a demand letter. Once you know what your claim is worth, it is important that you send a demand letter to the insurance company explaining the circumstances of your case and stating how much you are demanding in compensation.
- Review a settlement and negotiate for your damages. Once you issue a demand letter, the insurance company will likely offer you a settlement. You should have this settlement reviewed by an attorney. If it is less than your claim is worth, you can reject it and negotiate for a larger settlement amount.
- File your lawsuit. As stated above, if you are not able to reach a car accident settlement out of court, you maintain the right to file a lawsuit for damages directly against the at fault party. If your case goes to trial, its outcome will be determined by a court.
How a Meridian Car Accident Lawyer Helps Victims
In many Meridian car accident cases, the victim will first need to seek compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance company. However, such payment from the insurance company may not be enough to fully compensate the victim – or the insurance company may deny the injury victim’s claim altogether. Dealing with an insurance company after a crash may be testing and challenging enough, but knowing when it is time to file a car crash lawsuit – much less knowing how to successfully investigate and prosecute a case – is truly difficult for injury victims. A knowledgeable and resourceful Meridian car crash lawyer can assist victims in protecting their legal rights and presenting their claim for compensation, leaving victims free to focus on their physical health and recovery.
Contact the Meridian, Idaho car accident lawyers at Christensen & Hymas if you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash. We have years of experience in helping guide victims through the recovery process efficiently following a motor vehicle accident. Call our firm at (801) 214-0954, or use our firm’s online contact form to reach us today.