Idaho Snowmobile Accident Lawyer
Riding snowmobiles can be fun and exciting, and Idaho’s winter snows are ideal for snowmobiling. Snowmobiles are small, fast, and easy to maneuver, and some have seats for passengers to ride along. However, snowmobiles can be highly dangerous and pose a serious risk of injury to careless or inexperienced riders. An experienced Idaho snowmobile accident attorney can help you understand your options if you have been injured in a snowmobiling accident.
Snowmobilers must be careful to avoid collisions with rocks, trees, and other objects. Accidents can also involve another snowmobile, or passengers can be injured when a negligent driver causes a crash. Sometimes, a snowmobile’s defective design or manufacture can cause the machine to malfunction and cause a collision.
Common causes of snowmobiling accidents include:
- A driver’s intoxication;
- Excessive speed;
- Thin or slick ice;
- Lack of experience or training;
- A defective machine; or
- Negligent maintenance of equipment.
Collisions and accidents can cause broken bones, contusions, traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and even fatalities. If an accident was caused by another’s negligence or wrongdoing, you may be able to recover damages for your injuries. Damages may include compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering, and property damage.
When snowmobile drivers are sure to take appropriate safety measures, snowmobiling can be fun and exciting. Idaho has laws governing snowmobile safety:
- Do not go faster than is reasonable and prudent under the circumstances and conditions;
- Do not negligently endanger others;
- The use of headlights and taillights is required at night; and
- Brakes and mufflers must be fully functional.
Additionally, the Consumer Product Safety Commission has tips for safely operating a snowmobile, including:
- Avoiding driving alone;
- Staying on familiar terrain;
- Avoiding waterways;
- Avoiding bad weather;
- Slowing at the tops of hills;
- Watching where you go to avoid obstacles;
- Wearing proper safety gear, including a helmet;
- Not drinking and driving; and
- Ensuring proper maintenance of your vehicle.
If you have been injured in a snowmobile or other winter sporting accident, please contact the Boise personal injury attorneys at Hansen Injury Law for a free initial consultation.