Rear-end collisions are some of the most common traffic accidents around. While many of them may not seem very serious, they can easily cause serious injury and even death. They can happen at any time to any driver. For that reason, it is important know what resources are available to victims of rear-end collisions in Idaho.
Rear-end Collisions: Facts and Stats
Below are some facts and numbers about rear-end collisions in Idaho and across the country:
- Rear-end collisions are among the top 10 most harmful multiple-vehicle crashes in Idaho.
- Rear-end crashes are the most common fatal accident in Idaho work zones.
- There are about 1.7 million rear-end collisions on U.S. roadways each year.
- About 1,700 people die in rear-end crashes collisions every year and another 500,000 are hurt.
Causes of Rear-end Collisions in Idaho
Rear-end collisions usually happen because the at-fault driver is not paying attention:
- Texting, putting on makeup, dealing with children, or even just looking away for one second can cause you to hit a car unexpectedly.
Slower reaction time
- Being distracted, tired, or drunk decreases your reaction time. You may not be able to stop in time, even if you know that the person in front of you is slowing down or stopping.
- Rear-end crashes can start a chain reaction, and you can be pushed into the car ahead of you.
How to Avoid Rear-end Collisions
- Keep a safe following distance from cars in front of you. The faster you are driving, the greater this distance should be.
- Slow down. If you are speeding, your reaction time decreases and it is more likely that you could lose control if you have to slam on your brakes.
- Pay attention. Being distracted for even a moment can significantly increase your chances of being in a rear-end collision.
If you are injured in an accident or have questions about rear-end collisions in Idaho, contact Hansen Injury Law today. We will work with you, your doctors, and the insurance companies to get you the compensation you deserve.